The school overlooks the homonymous bastion that takes its name from the Dominican convent destroyed in the early twentieth century. Inaugurated in 1910, designed by engineer Tito Ciardi, it is part of the school houses built in the various districts of Cagliari in the first decades of the 20th century.
The solid construction has three floors resting on an ashlar stone plinth and marked by frame frames. The openings that are arranged symmetrically with respect to the main entrance have different frames on each level, but all inspired by the classical language with gables and lintels. A protruding frame surmounted by ornamental vases completes the building, which repeats the same characteristics on the sides on the Canelles and Fossario streets.
Bibliography
M. Pintus, “Architectures”, in Cagliari Historic Districts. Castello, Cinisello Balsamo, A. Pizzi, 1985, pp. 83-136;
G. Loddo, Cagliari Architetture from 1900 to 1945, Cagliari, Coedisar, 1999, p. 25;
F. Masala, Architecture from the Unification of Italy to the End of the 20th Century. Nuoro, Ilisso, 2001, page 22;
F. Masala, Paper Architectures. Projects for Cagliari (1800-1945), Cagliari, AM&D, 2002, p. 183.
Content type:
Civil architecture
Province: Cagliari
Common: Cagliari
Macro Territorial Area: South Sardinia
POSTAL CODE: 09124
Address: via Nicolò Canelles, 1
Update
Where is it
Texts
Author : Masala, Franco
Year : 2002
Author : Milia, Francesco
Results 2 of 154623
View All
Comments