The original nucleus of the Museum dates back to the first decades of the 19th century by the will of Queen Maria Theresa of Austria, who promoted the archaeological excavations of Porto Torres, bringing the materials found to the Royal University. In 1820, the collection was enriched with sarcophagi and inscriptions and subsequent private donations. In 1875 Giovanni Antonio Sanna donated his art and antiques collections with a testamentary legacy to the City Hall of Sassari, making it conditional on the establishment of a museum. The Museum occupied two university rooms without their own headquarters. In 1931, Zely Castoldi, Sanna's fourth daughter, to honor her father's wishes, donated the San Sebastiano building to the Town Hall, on which she had the building intended as a museum built at her expense. In 1947, Cav. G. Clemente donated his ethnographic collection to the Museum, on condition that a new pavilion be built by 1950, in the Museum's park, intended to accommodate it. Between the 60s and 70s, an additional exhibition body was built on two floors plus basement, connected by the junction to the Nuragica and Roman rooms. At the time of the construction of the neoclassical pavilion, the garden surrounded the entire building. Subsequent constructions and expansions of the complex progressively reduced the tree-lined area. Today, after the restoration and maintenance work completed in 2024, the Sanna Museum has acquired a new look and with it its garden. The garden today is configured as a single, uninterrupted ornamental green space. It integrates green areas and paved surfaces. It extends to the front of the complex and to the right, where it still preserves the paths that mark the paths through tall trees, oaks and maritime pines. The main façade, which overlooks Via Roma, is entirely visible from the outside through a metal fence. Compared to the street level, the garden is higher; after a gentle climb it continues flat. The main central gate leads directly to the museum with an avenue and the garden extends on the sides of it with tall trees. Overall, it is characterized by the presence of hedges, which design and define the ornamental green portion, while the area in front of the Marcialis and Clemente pavilions, on the eastern side, is characterized by a thematic itinerary with macaws and funerary and honorary inscriptions from the Roman era punctuated by bay bushes. Other archaeological finds consisting of the remains of fossil trunks, lead anchor blocks, iron anchors, millstones and architectural stone elements, whose origin has been lost in some cases, are on the margins of the paths and inside the flower beds. At the back, a row of oaks lines the fence up to the secondary gate.
Aspects of interest
Overall, the garden space, although divided into irregular flower beds, is balanced in the relationship between the voids determined by the lawn surfaces and the solids constituted by shrub species with developed foliage. The vegetation is mainly composed of Mediterranean hedges and trees. It is characterized by the presence of arches and epigraphs from the imperial era, datable to the 2nd-3rd century AD, arranged according to a semicircular profile. Additional archaeological finds are located in the northwestern part of the garden.
Structure category: natural monument
Content type:
Giardino
Usability: Open
Province: Sassari
Common: Sassari
Macro Territorial Area: Nord Sardegna
POSTAL CODE: 07100
Address: via Roma, 64
Telephone: +39 079 272203
E-mail: drm-sar.museoarcheo.sassari@cultura.gov.it
Website: museosanna.cultura.gov.it/il-museo
Information on tickets and access: For always updated information on opening hours and the cost of tickets, we recommend that you visit the museum's website.
Access mode: For a fee
Update
Where is it
Comments